Simple Ways to Tie a Silk Scarf
No closet is complete without a silk scarf or two. Let’s be real – it’s the ultimate accessory to add a dash of chic splendour to any outfit. In all its shapes and forms, the scarf is more than just an accessory, it’s a fashion must-have. A sensible and gorgeous accessory, it’s no wonder that they’ve been around for millennia! We’ve got records to show that Nefertiti herself, back in 350 BC, was more than just the queen of Egypt, but a slay queen, too, wearing a wrapped scarf under her jewelled headdress. With a long history behind them, there’s a variety of ways to tie a silk scarf.
So, how to tie a scarf in different ways to suit your style, you ask? Let’s take a look at the three of the most popular ways that have made the silk scarf an icon in fashion.
The Kelly Wrap – Silk Scarf Glamour
There’s particular femininity that goes hand-in-hand with the silk handkerchief scarf a la Grace Kelly. Let’s not forget that Audrey Hepburn did her fair share to turn this look, iconic, too! Kelly and Hepburn immortalised the printed silk scarf look that takes us back to the 1950s and 1960s – this is old-school glam that effortlessly brings elegance to almost any ensemble!
Tying the “Kelly Wrap” really is as easy it looks. Follow these 4 steps and you’ll be rocking that silk scarf with luxurious grace in about a minute.
- Take a square silk scarf and fold it along the diagonal.
- Now, place the scarf over your head – make sure the folded edge faces the front.
- Bring the folded corners under your chin and cross them around your neck.
- Neaten the look by tying the folded corners behind the neck and catch the loose corners under the knot at the back.
Other than looking flawless, this style has the practical benefit of protecting expensive hair colour when you’re making the most of the summer sun.
The Neck Wrap – A Necklace Alternative
The 1950s also saw another silk scarf style that brings vintage charisma to the contemporary fashion – the neck wrap. Wrapping a scarf around the neck was used back in Ancient Rome to keep the neck clean, but that’s a convenient practical by-product of this classic look that Elizabeth Taylor and, more recently, Cate Blanchett have popularised.
For the perfect neck wrap, we’ve broken it down into 4 simple steps:
- Form an “S” fold by folding a rectangular scarf twice lengthwise.
- Drape the folded scarf around your neck and let the ends hang down the back. Cross the ends over and bring them to the front.
- Loop the ends around one another, then pass them around the back again.
- Knot the ends at the back of the neck and clean it up by tucking the remaining length under your collar.
Pairing this style with a button-down blouse makes for a super-chic option, while the scarf illuminates the look, acting like a signature statement necklace.
The Bandana – An Effortless Twist
Wearing a scarf as an accessory is something of a French staple, with the triangle being amongst the most popular modern ways of tying the scarf. This look exudes flair when a patterned silk scarf is used to accessorise, of course, as Sienna Miller exhibited as a must-have look of the “new normal”.
Working best with a large square scarf, the following steps result in a nonchalant, sophisticated aesthetic:
- Fold a scarf in half and form a large triangle.
- Place the triangle at the front of your neck, pointed tip facing down.
- Tie the loose ends behind your neck, or bring them back around to the front to hang neck to the triangle.
Simple, sleek, and chic, made all the more luxurious and charismatic with an exclusive printed scarf from our range. How to tie a silk scarf? It all begins here, at Ilona Tambor, so keep following us for more exciting looks and options!
A/W 21/22 SCARVES COLLECTION
Wool Silk Scarf The Griffin & Basilisk Beige£209.00 Select options
Silk Scarf The Griffin & Basilisk Rosy Pink£75.00 – £209.00 Select options
The Griffin & Basilisk Rosy Pink Silk Ribbon Scarf£49.00 Select options
Leshy Black Silk Ribbon Scarf£49.00 Select options
Leshy Navy Blue Silk Ribbon Scarf£49.00 Select options
Wool Scarf Leshy Black Green£209.00 Select options
Silk Scarf Leshy Burgundy£75.00 – £209.00 Select options
The Griffin & Basilisk Black & Gold Silk Scarf£75.00 – £199.00 Select options
Silk Scarf Leshy Navy Blue£75.00 – £209.00 Select options